Robin is visiting us this week to help us paint our house--lots of painting--I'll show off some pics when we're done!
Tonight we went to Organ Stop Pizza, because we love it there and it's a great place to bring guests and visitors. (Friends, come visit and I guarantee I will take you there!)
Anyhow, tonight we're sitting at our table listening to the music when I notice that random groups of people around the huge dining room have stood up in unity and solemnity. So I realize that the organist must be playing "O Canada". (Arizona has a lot of Canadian representation--especially since the housing crash created an ideal time for northerners to buy summer homes.) "O Canada" moves into "God Bless America" and no one else stands up. And I can't help but think that all of these Canadians are going to think that this particular group of Americans are rather unpatriotic. (Assuming they are like me and do not especially know the other country's national anthem.)
But then "God Bless America" moves into "The Star-Spangled Banner" and everyone is out of their seat and the lights are up and the American flag is down and my heart fills and my eyes well up. I love the unity and strength that come from pride in one's country. For anyone. For whatever country they belong to. But I happen to be an American, and despite our flaws, I am proud of what that represents.

No comments:
Post a Comment