Some of you may remember me linking the Stewarts' Adoption Blog last year. There was an issue with the documentation of the girls' birthdays and they got hung up with the US embassy. In that situation, the adoptive mother was actually given custody of the twin girls immediately upon arrival to the country so they had already been in her care for a month before the issues arose. Ultimately, she was stuck in-country with them for over six months. And she had two other small children at home--they were able to fly over with her husband to visit her a few times, but the whole thing was a long process. And though she was mostly supported, some criticized her for it. But I got it. Those girls were her children too. And you wouldn't leave your child alone in another country if you could help it.
And then I contemplate our travelling.
Our program is two trips to the country, separated by a week and a half wait. We both have to be there for the first trip, but only one parent for the second. So already it made sense to us that I would return for the second trip and Matt would stay in the states to work. And I asked if we had to leave. And we don't! Phew--so I'll stay and Matt will come home. Because how can I walk into that little boy's life and then leave him alone for that many days? I wouldn't leave Titus or Kali or Ella.
Which means I'll be gone approximately 6 weeks. (I know, this is a long way off, just thoughts.) And that will be so hard. That's a long time to be gone from any of your children. Which made it sink in all the more how difficult that must have been for the Stewart mama. Already, I've received at least one opinion that I just have to get back to my other three kids in the middle and how important it will be for them. And it would be good for them. But they'll be okay. They'll survive. They'll cope. They'll be safe and secure.
Their brother is going to need me more.
So a different note, I love this photo. This is a little boy that wants to be a part of life.

No comments:
Post a Comment