Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Each of My Kids is Different

Tonight was crazy hair night at Awanas and if they wore a crazy hair style, they got to get prizes out of the treasure box.  After explaining this to the kids, Titus was adamant that his hair not be crazy.  Eventually the treasure lured him, though, and he acceded, "Alright, but just a little funny.  I like my hair to look good."

Then taking them to Awanas tonight, Kali randomly burst out in a sad voice, "I wish I could count every house!"

So I explained that there are more than 3,000 people that live just in our neighborhood and that would take a really long time.  Titus offered, "And a billion cars?"

"No, there are always less cars than people."

Kali:  "I'm going to count the cars on the way to Awanas!"

So she begins.  And then Titus begins.  And they're at around 8-9 cars when we near an intersection where perhaps 10 cars in two lanes are just turning the corner toward us.  Kali continues to count.  Titus exclaims, "Ahh!  There are hundreds of cars!  One hundred!  Two hundred!  Three hundred!"

We turn the corner, passing many more cars.  At this point, I hear Kali:  "Sixty two, sixty three, sixty four..."  (I'm assuming she maybe jumped some numbers in the middle.)

Titus:  "There are one hundred billion cars!"

Kali:  "Eighty one four, eighty one five, eight one six..."

Titus:  "One thousand!  Two thousand!"

And Kali got to about one hundred and fourteen before we reached Awanas, which is surely more accurate than Titus' estimate.

So we get to Awanas, but rather than ask me to push her on the swings, Kali assumes I should have known this and screams at me in an angry voice to push her.  So she doesn't get pushed on the swing and they blow the whistle and it's time to go in and she is very sad.

And then we get inside the building and Ella needs to go potty and in the doorway to the restroom while Ella is inside, Kali is crying in hysterics and I can't understand her and I finally figure out that she is bawling for me to practice her verse with her one more time.  So we do that.  Get Ella out of the restroom.  Get Titus and Kali to their Cubbies' class.

I take Ella to her class and she is remarking on each person's crazy hair that she sees as we go.  I drop her off and she walks in as her teacher says, "Ella, look at your crazy hair!"

To which Ella sticks her foot out to the side and asks her teacher, "Do you like these?"  Indicating her new shoes, because more and more I'm seeing that she's also a little words-of-affirmation girl on top of being a cuddle bug.

Yep:  4 large paperclips = crazy hair.  He still wasn't thrilled.
We didn't go crazy, but we got 'er done.

1 comment:

  1. L.O.L
    Kali cracks me up... I have my baby now... Maybe I will make it to moms' group one of these days !

    ReplyDelete