Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Scorpion on my Keyboard!

Even as I wrote the title, I had to jerk my hands away to double-check.  Even typing this now is a little difficult.

I was sitting at my computer having a jolly good time and I don't remember why but I lifted my hands away for a second (I was multi-tasking and also watching Dancing with the Stars so maybe it was to give a little added attention to Sabrina and Louis) and the second after I lifted my fingers a scorpion crawled across my keyboard.  Right where I just was.  From the e-r area down to the space bar.  I almost missed it because I had just been about to turn away, but...

It took less than a second and I was running across the room and up our stairs with a bloodcurdling scream. And I stood on the middle landing of our stairs--with my scream maybe lessening a little, though Matt might not have thought so--and Matt came out and I explained and he went to find it.

I remained on the middle landing for a bit and I guess during this time, he saw it move behind my desk and tried to knock my desk into the wall to squish it, but didn't think he got it.  I came down the stairs and stood on a chair in the kitchen to watch.  I tried to keep a good lookout to make sure it didn't get out of that corner.

Well, my work station gets pretty messy and I had a bunch of papers and stuff all around it, so Matt started knocking things off, piece by piece.  Nothing.  So he removed the keyboard, monitor, speakers.  Nothing.  He picked up the little desk and flipped it over.  Nothing.

Matt brought me my shoes and I moved closer to provide another eye.

He moved and unplugged all cords.  Nothing.  He moved my scanner and the computer tower.  Nothing.

And we just kept praying that we would find it.  Praying that God would show us where it was.  Or I would have to be stuck watching the kids upstairs and out of the house for the unforeseeable future.  I really thought it had maybe escaped from the corner before I was watching.

And then Matt saw it.  I don't know how, but he did.  Praise the Lord!

So here was our living room with my demolished work station:


Do you see the scorpion yet?  By the way, I totally thought the thing was 2-3 inches long from seeing its little scamper across my keyboard.  And it ended up being closer to maybe 1-2 inches long.


Now do you see it?


It was camouflaged with the underside of my desk.  Which means it most likely was there holding on the whole time Matt picked it up and flipped it around and turned it over.  Blech.

So praise the Lord, the scorpion was found and is gone!  And I think our pest people are supposed to be coming soon anyway.

And I have to say, that I really like our carpet color, but it totally must be Desert Creature Brown, because it seems that all of Arizona's creepy crawlies just blend in with it.  :(

Also, Praise Praise Praise the Lord that for whatever reason, I moved my fingers the second before it appeared!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. I have to give you credit for the pictures. I would have been outside sitting in the car waiting for the all clear haha

    ReplyDelete